Thursday, December 20, 2007

The best road trip ever

As many people know, Mike and I love to travel two ways. One is cruise ships (I introduced him to that ;) ). And the 2nd way is to road trip. I've been road tripping all my life, it wasn't unusual for my parent to toss us in the back of the car on a weekend and take off to explore somewhere. We got to see tons of stuff, from Redwood trees to Plymouth Rock. And my love for road trips started there. As an adult in my twenties, I embarked on longer road trips, sometimes involving moves, once a trip to Clemson to see my sister play volleyball, sometimes trips to New Orleans to visit my other sister. I had to get away at least once every other month- even if it was just to go to a neighboring state, get out on the open road and stretch my "legs". I once went to visit a coworker in Dover, DE just because I wanted to hit the road. Mike is the same way. Before me, trips to Colorado were starting to become an annual event. He loved to get out on the open road in the miata. As we grew to know each other, we discovered we shared that love of road trips. And we've taken quite a few. In my quest to go to every state before I turn 40 (3 more to go!), we've taken several road trips (sometimes hitting 10 states in a week) where we drive all day. We jokingly call our 1st anniversary the Holiday Inn tour because we stayed at Holiday Inns in many different states.

Now, we are about to embark on the biggest road trip of our lives. The best road trip of our lives so far. The road trip where we go to meet our son. Wow. Our son. It's so wonderful to say that! We can't wait to meet him. So, as we head off for the first leg, we're hoping to hit Memphis in time for dinner. We're going to maximize our daylight as much as possible. Thanks for joining us on our journey, we're glad to have you along!

8 comments:

JennB said...

Liz, best wishes to you and Mike. I received the link to your blog from Holly on our parenting board and I was reading it, I realized that you too are a Noah's Ark crew member. My sister and I both are with NA (we both live in DE). I think its great what you have done volunteering-wise for the holidays and know you must be over the moon about meeting your son soon. Best of luck and Merry Christmas to you all!

Jenn Baur

Minnie said...

Travel safe. Keep us posted. One of my dearest friends is at almost the exact same spot in the process as the two of you, which is how I found your blog. I'll be praying for you guys!

Lawfrog said...

Praying for everyone including the birth mom and her family. You have a safe trip and I have dibs on holding and squeezing and pinching the cheeks of your little guy:)

AmandaM said...

Just wanted to let you know that you are in my prayers! Have a safe trip.

Randi said...

Wow! What a surprise, what an adventure, what a joy, what a miracle! I am SOO happy for you; I know you've been waiting a long time. I will be thinking of you, the birthmother, and of your little Christmas baby boy.

nickoletta100 said...

Best road trip ever!

Anonymous said...

I am so so happy for you!!! Congrats and have a safe trip.

LL said...

WOOO HOOOOOOO!!!!!! Safe and Happy travels!